Travel Insurance Questions and Answers
- What is Travel Insurance?
- It is an insurance that typically reimburses your non-refundable travel expenses if an emergency (death, sickness, airline strike, etc.) occurs right before or during your trip causing it to be canceled, interrupted or delayed. Travel Insurance includes a wide variety of protection benefits to add peace of mind to your trip, like Medical expenses, Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Trip Delay, Emergency Medical Evacuation, Repatriation, Lost and delay of Baggage, Personal Effects, Flight protection, Travel Assistance Services and more.
- Why do I need a Travel Insurance?
- Traveling overseas always involves risks and nobody knows what could happen when planning a trip to a Foreign Country. In most cases, the domestic coverage or travel assistance will not provide the adequate protection and you could be exposed to substantial non expected charges.
Buying Travel Insurance provides peace of mind to your trip and protection in case you and/or your travel companions need to afford unexpected extra costs like Medical expenses, Cancellation or Interruption charges, Trip Delays, Emergency Medical Evacuation, Repatriation, Lost / delay of Baggage, lost of Personal Effects, Flight accidents, and more.
- What is the difference between Travel Assistance and Travel Insurance?
- Travel Assistance plans are usually not insurance products, so they are not ruled or supervised by Insurance Laws or Regulators. A Travel Assistance program will usually provide services only until contract expiration date, no matter how long your condition might need attention for (i.e. if the traveler is hospitalized on the 13th day of a 15-days contract, he will be covered just until the 15th day). On the other hand, a Travel Insurance Plan will provide medical benefits, as far as it started within the policy period, during 26 or 52 weeks (depending on the purchased plan) or up to the amount covered, no matter if it takes longer than your planned trip.
- What is basically covered by the Travel Insurance?
- Our International Travel Insurance programs have been specially designed with the following essential list of benefits that provides peace of mind to you and those traveling with you: Medical Expenses, Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption and Trip Delay, Emergency Medical Evacuation, Repatriation, Lost and Delay of Baggage, Additional Accident Flight protection, Travel Assistance Services and more. See the Summary of Benefits for each plan for details and to find the coverage that better fits your needs.
- What types of Travel Insurance are available?
- We offer 3 groups of plans >
Travel Insurance / Travel Medical Insurance: Plans oriented to Medical Expenses protection with several alternatives of limits per occurrence together with other additional benefits.
Travel Insurance with Trip Cancellation benefit: These plans provide Benefits of Cancellation and Interruption of your trip plus different alternatives of Medical Expenses Benefits.
Annual Travel Insurance for multiple trips: These plans are specifically oriented at frequent travelers and businessmen who made 3 or more trips during the year.
- What are the differences between a Maximum Limit plan and a Per Ocurrence plan?
Per Occurrence: Medical Expenses are based on the individual events/occurrences. Each covered medical emergency "occurrence" and each possible recurrence related to the same medical emergency will be considered one same event/ocurrence, covered up to the Per Occurrence Maximum as stated on the ID Card.
Maximum Limit: The amount purchased for Emergeny Medical Expenses will be the total and maximum amount to be paid, independently of the number of events/occurrences during the whole trip
- What is the deductible? How it is applied?
Deductible is the, single fixed amount, you must pay to the medical provider at the same event when making your first appointment. All our plans have a deductible of $ 50 and they are only three deductible maximum per family applied within the same coverage.
- Who is providing support and backing up the Travel Insurance?
TravelMedical Plans are internationally underwritten by Lloyd's of London, the world's oldest insurance market. Lloyd's of London is rated A (Excellent) by AM Best.
GlobalTrip, Symphony And Annual MultiTrip Plans are supported by Guardian Life of the Caribbean Ltd. (Member of Guardian Holding Group). Guardian Life of the Caribbean is rated A-(Excellent) by AM Best.
RoundTrip Plans are underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, Ohio, USA. Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company is rated A+ (Superior) by AM Best.
- Where can I buy a Travel Insurance?
- USA-ASSIST was born to operate electronically and completely online. You can buy with confidence travel insurance plans in a simple, reliable and secure way through an exclusive online system. Please click here to buy now.
- Who can buy Travel Insurance?
- All kind of groups, organizations and individuals from all around the world can purchase USA-ASSIST Travel Plans, at same cost, coverage quality and with no benefit reduction for any traveler, regardless of country of origin. Please click here for detailed information.
- Is there an age limit to buy a Travel Insurance?
- Any person over 14-days old can purchase USA-ASSIST Plans. Please note that in some travel insurance, the medical expense maximum permitted vary according to age.
- How much does a Travel Insurance cost?
- Prices vary depending on duration of trip, plan benefits and age of traveler. To find out how much your policy would cost, please click here to get a quote.
- How can I pay for a Travel Insurance?
- USA-ASSIST offers Secure Purchasing Guarantee and accepts main credit cards such as: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Diners and JCV.
- What does Country of Residence mean?
- It is the country where you have permanent residence, independently of your country of origin. The country of permanent residence can be defined as the country you would wish to be repatriated to in the event of a medical emergency.
- What country the Coverage is good for?
- USA-ASSIST provides worldwide coverage, provided that you are traveling outside of your country of residence. Nevertheless, Round Trip Plans (which are only available for USA residents departing from and returning to the USA) provide also coverage for trips within the United States.
- When is the Coverage active?
- Your policy is active as of 12:01AM of the day following the purchase date. However, there are plans with benefits being effective on or after departure date.
- When does the Coverage start?
- All coverages start on departure date. However, the Trip Cancellation benefit of this kind of policy is effective as of 12:01AM of the day following the purchase date. All other benefits coverage start on or after departure.
- When does the Coverage expire or end?
- Coverage ends after returning to your country of residence on return date. However, if you purchase a plan with benefits for certain period of travel, your policy will expire on the last day of that travel period.
- When can I cancel the Coverage?
- Travel Insurance / Travel Medical Insurance: Cancellations are permissible until the day before the departure date.
Travel Insurance with Trip Cancellation benefit: Cancellations are permissible within 10 days of the date of purchase, but in no instance will cancellation be accepted within 10 days prior to the departure date.
Annual Travel Insurance for multiple trips: Cancellations are permissible until the day before the start date.
- When can I request a refund?
- Travel Insurance / Travel Medical Insurance: Premium for the full term of coverage will be refunded only when a written request for policy cancellation sent to firstname.lastname@example.org is received by USA-ASSIST prior to the Departure Date. After the Policy is Effective on Departure Date, premium is considered fully earned and non refundable.
Travel Insurance with Trip Cancellation benefits: Premium for the full term of coverage will be refunded only when a written request for policy cancellation sent to email@example.com is received by USA-ASSIST within the 10 days free-look back period after Purchase Date. However, in no instance refund of premium for cancellation request will be accepted within 10 days period prior to the Departure Date.
Annual Travel Insurance for multiple trips: Premium for the full term of coverage will be refunded only when a written request for policy cancellation sent to firstname.lastname@example.org is received by USA-ASSIST prior to the Start Date. After the Policy is Effective on Start Date, premium is considered fully earned and non refundable.
- Where can I get a copy of Receipt/Certificate or virtual ID Card?
- All the necessary documents will be sent to you by e-mail, to the e-mail address you state in the on-line purchase form. Notwithstanding that, You will always be able to download, resend to yourself or print the documents within our website. To download a copy of your documentation, please visit Customer Service / My Travel Documentation.
- How do I get international assistance?
- Please visit Customer Service / Find Provider, you will find instructions to follow and telephone numbers where to call for assistance.
- What do I do in case of an emergency?
- Please visit Customer Service / In Case of Emergency, you will have to input your data and the requested information. You will have instructions to follow and telephone numbers where to call for an emergency.
- Can I make a claim during the trip?
- Yes. Every claim form is available in our web-site. Please visit Customer Service / Claims, you will find instructions to follow, telephone numbers to assist you and claims forms to download, depending the kind of policy you bought.
- Can I wait until I return to file a claim?
- You can wait until your return to your Country or Residence to file a claim, but it is important to submit your claim within 30 days after the date of service. Please remember to keep the original invoices of any expenses you incurred in, as they will be requested together with the claim’s form. Please visit Customer Service / Claims to file a claim.
- What can I file a claim for?
- You can file a claim for non-refundable expenses incurred by you and your traveling companions under your Certificate of coverage due to Accident or Sickness, Trip Cancellation, Delay or Interruption, Loss of Baggage and Personal Effects. Please read your Summary of Benefits for a full list of benefits.
- Who is the Administrator for claims and emergencies?
For TravelMedical and RoundTrip Plans: USA-ASSIST has an agreement with Seven Corners Assist of Indiana, USA.
For GlobalTrip, Symphony, Annual MultiTrip Plans: USA-ASSIST has an agreement with Global Medical Management of Florida, USA.